Welcome to Pitlochrie Cottages recipes. Here is our recipe for Pitlochrie Joe’s Deluxe Ice-cream.
The passion for ice-cream has led Joe to perfect his own recipe which takes a little more effort, but its worth it! Our favourite combinations are vanilla, coffee and strawberry. We also add our strawberry and elder flower syrup. Sublime!
- 500 ml long life cream (125ml for the custard 375 to be whipped later)
- 500 ml full fat milk
- 5 ml vanilla extract
- 6 egg yolks
- 200 g white sugar
- Combine the milk, 125ml cream and vanilla in a saucepan, mix well and bring close to the boil. Turn off the heat and let it cool for a few minutes. (If you are making coffee ice cream replace the vanilla with 5 heaped teaspoons of strong instant coffee that is dissolved in 50ml hot water.)
- Whisk the sugar and egg yolks together until they are pale and creamy.
- Slowly pour the hot milk into the egg mixture whisking all the time. This is where the custard can split so do not rush this step.
- Return the mixture to the milk pot and heat over a low heat until it is about to boil. Remove from heat and cool. Standing the pot in a basin of cold water will speed up the process. Once cool put the mixture in the fridge to cool down even further. We find that it is best to make the custard a good few hours in advance of the final step.
- When the custard mixture is cold, take the remaining 375 ml cream and whip to soft peak stage. Whisk the cream into the custard.
If you have a frozen desert maker pour the mixture into it and mix for about 30 min. Add the elder flower syrup or strawberries now if you want. If you do not have one, pour mixture into a 2-litre plastic container and place in the freezer. After about an hour stir the mixture with a spoon a few times, repeat this twice more. If you have used a desert maker just put it straight into the deep freeze. Either way you will have the most delicious ice cream ever.